Wondering how to relieve anal fissures? They are an annoying and painful problem that many suffer from in silence. This can be an acute or chronic disorder that should be treated as soon as possible to avoid excessive blood loss and regulate your bowel movements.
In today’s article you can discover some of the best natural solutions to relieve anal fissures. This will help you prevent and treat them using home remedies like cold water, aloe vera, coconut oil and calendula.
What is an anal fissure?
An anal fissure is a small tear in the lining of the rectum. The main cause is constipation and passage of large stools. This can be a very painful problem that causes bleeding and a long and difficult healing process.
Treatment of anal fissures should involve a dual approach:
- Regular bowel movements and plenty of hydration to avoid aggravating the problem.
- Use of topical remedies that relieve pain and promote rapid healing.
How can you regulate your bowel function?
If you have an intestinal disorder, you may not find any relief from medication. Not even natural remedies will always be able to offer long-term results, but rather they are quick fixes to alleviate the problem. A long-term solution will be to change your daily eating and lifestyle habits:
- Your diet should be based on fruits and vegetables, both raw and cooked (juices, smoothies, salads, steamed, etc.). These should be on your plate at every meal.
- Whenever possible, choose whole grains that are not refined (grains, flour, pasta, etc.).
- When you eat a lot of fiber, your body needs water to process it. Drink at least two liters of water a day, in addition to your meals.
- Don’t forget to add legumes, nuts and seeds to your weekly menus.
- Get some exercise two to three times a week, and avoid having a sedentary lifestyle, especially if you sit for long periods of the day.
- Fight stress and other anxiety disorders.
Natural solutions to relieve anal fissures
1. Cold water
If you have an anal fissure, you will immediately relieve the pain that appears during unexpected moments. Although it will not cure the problem, cold water can soothe the pain immediately. Remember to combine this with other treatments.
You should apply cold water directly to the affected area. It is easiest to do this in the shower or a bidet. If this is not possible, use a small towel that has been soaked in cold water and hold it against the area for a few minutes.
People who suffer from an anal fissure should avoid using conventional toilet paper, which can aggravate the problem. They should use wet wipes or a bidet if they have the opportunity.
2. Healthy vegetable oils
Cold water is an ideal treatment for temporary discomfort. However, to prevent or treat an anal fissure, you should moisturize and protect this sensitive area of the body. You can use natural products for this, so avoid using chemical substances that have negative effects.
The simplest and most effective treatment involves the use of vegetable oils. They nourish your skin and make it more elastic to prevent a new tear from forming.
- The best alternatives are almond, wheat germ and olive oil.
- You can also add some essential cypress oil to promote good circulation.
3. Healing treatments
In addition to moisturizing your skin to relieve anal fissures, you can also create a homemade treatment that will help promote the healing process. This has regenerative properties that will close fissures as soon as possible. This remedy is also anti-inflammatory, nourishing and soothing for your skin.
- 2 tablespoons aloe vera gel (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon rosehip oil (15 ml)
You can use regular aloe vera gel that you have taken from an aloe vera plant, or you can buy pure gel from the store.
Preparation and use
- Mix aloe vera with rosehip oil.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area several times a day and after each bath to relieve anal fissures.