This is a simple recipe for hummus with peppers. You may not know it, but this dish from the Middle East is not just a dream when it comes to nutrition: it also does not have as many calories.
In this recipe we will mainly follow a traditional recipe with the basic ingredients: chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and fresh garlic. The only thing we are going to add is a hint of paprika, although you can also use cayenne pepper if you like a really hot hummus.
This recipe is as tasty as it is versatile. This means exactly what it sounds like: you can add other ingredients to vary the taste.
Are you ready to make your own hummus?
“To hummus or not to hummus”: Fantastic chickpeas
Chickpeas are the main ingredient in hummus. This is a legume that stands out as a wonderful source of many essential nutrients. Therefore, if you still need an excuse to try this recipe, look no further. A serving of 100 grams of hummus offers approximately:
- Calories: 166
- Fat: 9.6 grams
- Protein: 7.9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14.3 grams
- Fiber: 6.0 grams
- Manganese: 39% of recommended daily intake
- Copper: 26% of recommended daily intake
- Folate: 21% of recommended daily intake
- Magnesium: 18% of recommended daily intake
- Phosphorus: 18% of recommended daily intake
- Iron: 14% of recommended daily intake
- Zinc: 12% of recommended daily intake
- Thiamine: 12% of recommended daily intake
- Vitamin B6: 10% of recommended daily intake
- Potassium: 7% of recommended daily intake
A simple recipe for hummus with peppers
The best way to make sure you eat good quality hummus, where you get all the nutritional benefits, is to make it yourself. Precisely because of this, we will show you how to make the traditional recipe, as well as how to add peppers or other ingredients.
Hummus with peppers: Ingredients
- 2.5 to 3 dl dry chickpeas (you get about 7 dl chickpeas after you have cooked them). You can peel them if you prefer a smoother consistency.
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, chopped or mashed
- 3 to 4 ice cubes
- 0.8 tahini
- Interesting facts: tahini is prepared in much the same way as peanut butter, only that sesame seeds are used instead of peanuts
- ½ ts common salt
- The juice of 1 lemon
- Hot water (if required)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Paprika powder to taste
How to make hummus with peppers
- First, let the chickpeas draw and cook them. They need to lie down and soak in water overnight before cooking them (unless you like to have air in your stomach!).
- Then, as soon as you have cooked them, you can either peel them to get a smoother consistency, or leave them as they are to get a more “chunky” texture. Whatever you choose, have chickpeas and mashed garlic in a blender, food processor or bowl and make a kind of puree.
- Then, while the food processor is still running, add the ice cubes, tahini, salt and lemon juice. Let it all mix for about four minutes. Check the consistency, and if it is still too thick, turn on the food processor again and add some hot water. Do it slowly.
- Continue to let it mix until you achieve the desired consistency.
- Then, place it in a bowl and pour over a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil. If you want, you can put some chickpeas in the middle for decoration. Sprinkle with paprika powder to taste.
This simple hummus recipe is an excellent side dish
In general, both this and other versions of hummus are great for replacing commercial dressings and dips. Their creamy taste and texture will undoubtedly enhance many of your dishes. In addition, you will not add as many calories. For example, you can add hummus on / in:
- Sandwiches and burgers
- Deviled eggs
- Chicken nuggets and the like
- Toast, bread, salt biscuits and crispbread
- Corn and flour
- As a dip for all kinds of vegetables
- Soups and salads
Some things in the end
Hummus is healthy. Although the traditional recipe may taste best, you can always experiment with other ingredients such as fried onions and peppers, avocados, black beans, cayenne pepper, etc.
Also, do not be afraid to use tahini. You only need 0.8 dl tahini per 7 dl ready-cooked chickpeas to make a tasty and irresistible hummus. However, you can add more if you like the taste.
Finally, pay close attention to what you eat with this dish. Although it goes well with most things, keep in mind that if you eat it with fried chicken, for example, you can just forget about your low-calorie meal. We recommend that you eat hummus with other healthy foods such as wholemeal bread and fresh vegetables.