People suffering from diabetes need to be extra careful with their diet . Therefore, we will share some tips and guidelines to facilitate weight loss for diabetics . This will reduce the risk of experiencing blood sugar irregularities .
The key to a healthy diet
A healthy diet means first and foremost eating foods that reduce the risk of disease, while we get the necessary nutrients for the body to function properly. Healthy eating habits mean having great variation in what one eats . For example, vegetables, whole grains, fruits, dairy products without fat, lean meat, white fish, etc.
The perfect food does not exist. This means that the key is to vary the diet and control the size of the portions , if you want a healthy diet. In addition, it is important to ensure that all foods have the highest possible quality of nutrients.
In other words, we should find foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber instead of preservatives and other additives.
People with diabetes can mainly eat the same food as the rest of the family. Everyone benefits from eating healthy, so the whole family should be part of the healthy lifestyle.
However, some degree of planning is important . The main rule, however, is that you can incorporate your favorite foods into your diet, and still control your levels of glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol.
In this way, a diet for weight loss for diabetics can also work for the whole family.
Weight loss for diabetics
Following a diet, controlling your food intake and exercising is very beneficial for diabetics, if you follow your doctor’s advice.
We will share some tips for a diet adapted for diabetics who are struggling with obesity. In such cases, a diet that promotes weight loss for diabetics is necessary. Obesity is, after all, a risk factor for hypertension and heart problems .
We mentioned above that people with diabetes should pay special attention to their diet. This is especially true if you have problems with obesity. Below we give you different options that you can combine in today’s six meals .
- Coffee with skim milk
- Red or green tea
- Cereals without sugar or chocolate
- Two slices of wholemeal toast with sugar-free jam
Snack in the morning
- A piece of fruit
- A low-fat yogurt
- A sugar-free grain bar
- Two slices of wholemeal toast with turkey spread or fresh cheese
- Pasta salad with tomato, lettuce, corn, chicken, eggs without egg yolk and vegetables. It is important not to use mayonnaise, but to stick to alternatives such as olive oil, yogurt or soy sauce.
- Mediterranean salad
- Tomatoes with oregano and fresh cheese
- Lentils with vegetables
- Spinach with chickpeas
- Eggplants or peppers stuffed with shredded chicken
- Dessert based on infusions or coffee with or without skim milk
- Skimmed milk with or without coffee
- Lemon or grapefruit juice
- Red or green tea
- Four sugar-free biscuits
- Homemade flan or yogurt with a low fat content
- Homemade cake based on whipped masses, with yogurt, lemon zest and wholemeal wheat flour
- Salad with tomatoes, lettuce, eggs without egg yolk, onions and tuna
- Grilled vegetables
- American salad with cabbage and grated carrots
- Boiled or mashed vegetables
- Scrambled eggs with garlic and shrimp
- Grilled flounder
- Grilled chicken breast
- Grilled beef
- Dessert based on infusion
- A low-fat yogurt
- A glass of skim milk
As a supplement to these ideas for daily weight loss menus for diabetics, regular, light exercise is recommended . Activities such as taking long walks, 30 minutes brisk walking or swimming can help you lose weight faster. Then you also burn the sugar in the blood.
Remember that if you are injecting insulin you should be aware of the lower levels of blood sugar or hypoglycaemia. Finally, it is recommended to always carry some sweets or sugar cubes in your pocket or bag. Then you have a fast source of glucose if you notice the symptoms of hypoglycemia.