Using aromatic candles is a well-established tradition, and has been common throughout history. The use has not only been used to make it homely, or make us relax, but in fact also as part of natural medicine. This is because of the essential oils and healthy benefits aromatic candles have.
As far back as the 15th century, evidence has been found that aromatic candles have been used as an indispensable form of lighting. At this time, the candles were made of animal fat, and gave off a foul odor. After we got electricity, the lights have more or less been used only to make it homely, or to make us relax.
Essential oils that are supposed to have a relaxing effect are added to the candles. Because the aromas give the oils a health effect, this is used to cure migraines and headaches, among other things.
Light and aromatherapy
The use of scents for a relaxing effect is something that over time has weighed heavily in natural medicine. A large part of aromatherapy is that just smelling, creates certain processes in our bodies.
This is due to the essential oils from plants, fruits, roots, stems, leaves, etc. The oils should be able to counteract stress and anxiety, precisely because the odors that are mixed with wax, and which are inhaled through the nose.
Furthermore, we will take a closer look at the benefits associated with certain essential oils. These are oils that we can buy in stores or at the pharmacy.
- Lavender: has a relaxing effect and prevents stress and anxiety.
- Cinnamon: associated with mental stimuli.
- Apple ‘s calf could help with migraines.
- Jasmine: seems relaxing.
- Gardenia: will give us peace.
- Coconut: sweetens the air.
- Eucalyptus: disinfects the air, and sharpens the concentration.
- Vanilla: has an antidepressant and sedative effect.
- Lemon : relieves anxiety and dizziness.
- Cinnamon: relieves nervous exhaustion.
- Orange: should have a calming effect.
- Rose: helps against insomnia, headaches and stress.
- Thyme : is ideal for mental exhaustion.
- Sedated: improves mood and optimism. It also has a calming effect and creates a good atmosphere in the room.
How to make aromatic candles from fruit peel
What do we need?
- Refined wax or paraffin. The amount depends on how many candles you want to make, and how big you want them.
- Essential essences: Here you can choose and reject according to taste and pleasure. Here you choose according to what you prefer.
- A form.
- A pan for melting paraffin.
- Which makes the wick stay in the middle
- We start by melting the paraffin in the pot, over a water bath.
- Heat the wax until it melts. It is best to melt it over a water bath, and then stir in it.
- When the wax is liquid, the essence can be added. It is best to wait until the wax has cooled down a bit, before adding the essence.
- Then pour the mixture into the mold, whether it is round or square. The mold and wick should be lubricated with oil before adding the mixture.
- To get the wick in the middle of the candle, one end of the wick must be attached to a tool that clamps the wick. This should be in the middle of the mold.
- Then wait for 5 hours, while the oils, paraffin and wick prepare, and achieve the right consistency. This takes some time.
- remove it from the mold:
- visible defects, such as scratches or air bubbles,
Through this process , you will see how easy it is to make your own fragrant and soothing candles. You can mix and try to find out which scents you prefer to add. The candles are also great gifts for friends and acquaintances.
Light in orange peel
What do we need?
- Clementine or orange
- Olive oil
We start by laying the clementine / orange on a flat surface, and then make a thin cut around the top. We carefully place a spoon inside the peel, without destroying the fruit on the inside.
Furthermore, we move the spoon lightly on the inside of the peel, and carefully remove the fruit from the peel. Be careful not to damage the shell.
Use exactly the same procedure for light production as using a standard form.