Dark pigmented areas in the neck region are a relatively common problem, and even have a scientific name: acanthosis nigricans. It does not represent a danger to the person who has this, but some may still be worried and even give lower self-esteem to those affected. It is important to know that this is neither an infection nor a contagious disease. Read how to get lighter skin in the neck region below! Darker skin in the neck region can be caused by many things, such as overexposure to the sun, hormonal imbalance , pregnancy, use of birth control pills and diabetes, to name a few. It is often followed by dark areas elsewhere on the body as well.
In today’s article, we list some of the most effective home remedies for getting lighter skin in the neck region.
Lemon is a simple ingredient that is easily available and has a number of different uses in the home. Thanks to its bleaching properties, lemon is a perfect choice to treat this condition. Lemon helps to naturally lighten skin in exposed areas. However, it is important to remember not to expose the skin to the sun after this treatment. All you need is some lemon juice and a cotton ball.
This is what you do:
- Squeeze the juice from a lemon
- Dip one cotton ball into the lemon juice
- Apply the juice with the cotton swab directly on the dark skin in the neck region
- If you have sensitive skin, you can have some water in the lemon juice to avoid redness and irritation in the skin
- Let the lemon juice work on the skin for 10-20 minutes
- Rinse with cold water and then apply a light moisturizer
Oatmeal is not only good for your overall health; it can also help whiten the skin, as well as be used as an exfoliation to remove dead skin cells.
- Tomato puree
- A small bowl to mix in
- Put the oatmeal and tomato puree in a bowl and mix well until you get a thick mass
- Apply the mass directly on the dark pigmented skin in the neck region and massage for a few minutes
- Let the mass work for 15-30 minutes
- In addition to giving lighter skin in the neck region, this mass will also exfoliate the skin and remove dead skin cells
- Rinse with cold water
- Finally, apply a light moisturizer and massage the skin gently
Yogurt is a very good choice when it comes to cleansing and bleaching the skin, and when yogurt is combined with lemon juice you will get maximum effect. All you need to do this treatment is half a cup of yogurt and a tablespoon of lemon juice.
What do you do?
- Mix yogurt and lemon juice
- Apply the mixture directly on the skin in the neck region
- Let it work for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse with cold water
- Repeat the treatment as often as necessary
Fruit is often added in cosmetic products to help soften the skin, rejuvenate it and improve the texture. Certain fruits such as avocados, bananas, oranges, apples, papayas and more contain enzymes, minerals and vitamins that help in a general improvement of the skin.
When you mix bananas with olive oil, you get a mask that is rich in antioxidants and that gives you a smoother, healthier and revitalized skin. All you need to make this mask is a ripe banana and a little olive oil.
- Mash the ripe banana in a bowl
- Add a little olive oil and mix well to a mass
- Apply this mask on the skin in the neck region and let it work for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse with cold water and pat the skin dry with a towel
Daily use of this banana mask will help nourish the skin and lighten darker skin areas.
Mask with strawberries and papaya
Papaya contains an enzyme called papain, which is very good for removing dead skin cells. Strawberries contain antioxidants that help renew damaged skin cells. The combination of these two ingredients provides lots of vitamins and minerals that nourish the skin, as well as provide lighter skin on darker skin areas. All you need for this treatment is a papaya and two strawberries.
- Mash the papaya to a smooth mass
- Mash the strawberries and mix them together with approx. 2 tablespoons papaya pulp
- When this is well mixed, apply the mass on the neck
- Let it work for 10-15 minutes
The treatments we have listed here are just some of the good home remedies available to whiten the skin in the neck region. But remember: if the problem persists, it is always best to see a doctor to detect more serious health problems.