Low back pain is a type of muscle pain that is caused by heavy lifting, repetitive movements, sitting for long periods at a time or an unfortunate injury. This type of pain is a common disorder and can last anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks. Read on to learn about 6 stretching exercises to relieve low back pain!
One of the first methods to relieve low back pain is to rest for a few hours and to avoid activities that involve a lot of movement. However, it is not recommended to stay completely inactive, as this can make the condition worse.
Those who suffer from low back pain, whether it is for just a few hours or if it is for several days, should perform some low-intensity physical activities, such as walking around the house or doing stretching exercises, for example.
This time we will share six stretching exercises to relieve low back pain, which are easy to do.
Stretching the hamstrings to relieve low back pain
- To start, lie with your back on the floor.
- Bend your left knee at a 90 ° angle to keep your hips stable. Lift the right leg. Try to keep it as straight as possible. The right hip should not be lifted off the floor, and the movement should only come from the hip.
- Try holding the leg in this position for 30 seconds to feel the stretch on the back of the right leg.
- Now relax the knee and repeat three times with the same leg before changing sides.
Knee to chest
- Lie down with your back to the floor. Keep your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- While holding one foot on the floor, lift the knee of the other leg towards the chest and try to hold this position for 15-20 seconds. You can strengthen the stretching by embracing the leg and pulling it towards you.
- Relax and return to starting position. Repeat with the other leg.
- Do 2-4 repetitions with each leg.
You should avoid this exercise if the pain in the lower back increases or spreads to the legs.
Stretch the back
With this exercise you will stretch the paravertebral muscles, while strengthening your abdominal muscles.
- Lie on your back with your legs outstretched.
- Lift your right leg and bend your knee at a 90-degree angle, then bring it to your left side toward the floor.
- Hold this position for at least 20 seconds to feel that it stretches the muscles of the back and buttocks.
- Keep the muscles tight and repeat with the other side.
- Perform three repetitions on each side.
- Lie on a padded mat with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor.
- Lift your right knee toward your chest and pull it toward your left shoulder with your left hand.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds. Gradually increase the time to 30 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise with the other leg.
Lying quadriceps stretch
- Lie on your left side and reach behind you to catch your right ankle with your right hand.
- Tighten your buttocks and start by pulling your ankle towards it while trying to extend your leg.
- Avoid stretching the ankle all the way to the buttocks as this can lead to a knee injury.
- Hold this position for as long as possible and then change sides.
Full back stretch to relieve low back pain
- While standing, stretch your arms toward a table or other solid object, and bend forward with your knees slightly bent so that you can reach the edge of the table with your hands.
- Try to keep your arms as straight as possible and keep your head level with your shoulders. Hold this position for 10 seconds.
- Then, while standing, extend your left arm forward and raise your right arm over your head with your elbow bent as you move your upper body to the left to stretch the side.
- Try holding this position for 10 seconds, switch sides and repeat.