Tofu is a kind of vegan cheese made from soy milk. Thanks to this, all tofu dishes you make have low fat and are packed with protein. In addition, soy is also a great source of calcium and vitamins. For the most part, the egg-like flavor and texture are good to cook in just about any way you want.
Today we will give you a few simple recipes to try it out. They are easy to make, have many health benefits and are also delicious.
Tofu and tofu dishes
Soy in all forms is popular with vegans and vegetarians. Tofu is made from soy. However, the process is very similar to cheese production. Fortunately, the good news for some people is that it does not contain lactose, so it is a good choice for those who are intolerant to this type of disaccharides.
The benefits and limitations of tofu consumption
- To begin with, tofu is made from soybeans, a legume, so it has a high protein content of high quality. It contains all the nine essential amino acids.
- It also contains essential fatty acids, vitamin E and lecithins that are needed to balance cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Also, it is rich in calcium. It contains 159 mg per 100 grams. In addition, it also contains iron and zinc, among other minerals and vitamins.
- Furthermore, the isoflavone content, together with the contribution of calcium and protein, makes it a very suitable food for balancing estrogen. It is therefore recommended that menopausal women consume soy.
- Finally, it is rich in fiber and low in calories.
Remember in general that soy and all derivatives also have high amounts of oxalate. Consult your doctor about the amount you should have in your diet if your system uses calcium oxalate to make kidney stones.
Two tofu dishes
- 200 grams of tofu, cut into cubes and wipe dry
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 or 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Frying oil
- Start by making the marinade, add oil and garlic clove in a bowl and add honey, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Also add tofu and let it marinate in the fridge for 4-5 hours. The longer you leave it, the more tasty it becomes. In addition, you can turn the tofu pieces occasionally so that they take up the marinade on all sides.
- When the tofu is ready, add the flour and sesame seeds on a plate and roll the tofu in this mixture so that all sides are covered.
- Also heat a good amount of frying oil and then brown the tofu.
- Then take it out and place it on an absorbent paper to get rid of excess oil.
- Finally, you are ready to serve it with your favorite sauce or side dish. Enjoy!
Tofu dishes: burgers
- 250 grams of tofu, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Coriander or parsley, chopped
- Red pepper
- 1 egg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Frying oil
- First fry the onion in a pan with a little hot oil until it is soft and translucent, and set it aside.
- Then mix the tofu with the garlic and coriander or parsley to a smooth mixture.
- Then add the fried onion, egg, breadcrumbs, red pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to get a dough that you can make chops with.
- Shape the burgers and fry them in hot oil.
- Finally, you’re ready to serve them next to your favorite side dish. You can also make a “classic” hamburger with them!
Tofu is such a versatile ingredient that you can do virtually anything with it. There are many recipes out there for stews, salads, meatballs, chops and even desserts and sweets. Check them out!