But if you are just curious, read this article to be informed on how to prevent this from happening and prepare mentally to know what to do if your child drinks bleach or other toxic cleaning products.
How do these products poison children?
Ingestion of toxic products, such as if you drink bleach and other cleaning agents, have serious consequences. These effects can also occur by inhaling the vapors from these products or by direct contact with the skin.
An emergency room, or an ambulance, is absolutely necessary if your child has been poisoned by any of these toxic substances. Bleach, detergents, cosmetics or personal hygiene products are all considered toxic. This is because they contain chemical compounds that are known to cause severe tissue damage, similar to the effects of direct heat.
In most cases where children drink bleach or other products, it happens by accident. However, if a teenager or an adult drinks it, there is a high probability that it was a suicide attempt, and the patient will require extra emergency medical help.
How can you prevent this from happening?
Children usually drink toxic chemicals in cases where someone puts down a container, similar to the one they would drink from, within the child’s reach.
The child recognizes the container and its contents. Home security depends on prevention. Read the following to prevent accidents:
- Avoid leaving toxic products (bleach, ammonia, detergent, shampoo) within the reach of a child.
- Prevent your child from recognizing a recycled container as something drinkable / edible. Keep toxic products away in the original packaging so that you can read the manufacturer’s instructions if ingested.
- Limit the use of toxic products in play areas, as poisoning can also occur through the airways or skin.
- Clear vinegar is strongly recommended to be used as a cleaning agent around the home. This is a potent antibacterial agent that will not create toxic fumes or damage the skin, even if it comes in direct contact.
What should you do if your child drinks bleach?
The first thing you need to do is stay calm. Panic will only make things worse. Your child needs you to act correctly. Basic first aid includes:
- Do not induce vomiting – this causes the damage to recur as the product passes through the esophagus.
- Do not give your child food or drink – do not use water, milk or egg whites. There is no homemade solution to this type of accident.
- Call 113, and they will determine the degree of urgency, whether the child should be picked up by ambulance, or whether you can contact the nearest emergency room.
- Bring the container with the contents your child ingested.
- If your child is very young, it has most likely drunk a small amount. The taste is unpleasant, because manufacturers usually add bitter substance to prevent people from drinking them by mistake.
- If your child is older and consumes a significant amount, it is possible that they did this to harm themselves. The sooner you can get them to a doctor, the more likely you are to save their lives.
Symptoms of ingestion of toxic substances
If you have a small child and do not know if he / she has ingested bleach or something similar, check to see if your child has the following symptoms:
- Immediate discomfort or pain in mouth and throat
- Difficulty swallowing and hoarseness
- Nausea and vomiting, with or without blood
- Difficulty breathing and sharp sounds when the child breathes
- Chest pain
If your child is in shock (mental confusion, loss of consciousness, sweating, pale, has cold hands and feet), you need to act very quickly.
Remember: The most important thing to do in these cases is to consult a doctor. If your child intentionally consumes toxic substances and survives, make sure he / she starts receiving psychological counseling.
The poison information has a comprehensive overview and advice in case of poisoning or danger of poisoning.